Current AffairsSportssportsWorld News

Milkha Singh passes away due to COVID-19 complications 1962–2021

Earlier this week, Indian athletes were examined for COVID-19 on Thursday of this week and transferred from COVID intensive care unit (ICU) to the medical intensive care unit (MICU) of PGIMER. The 1958 Commonwealth Games champion and 1960 Olympic gold medallist contracted the virus on 20 May after one of his household cooks was examined by a doctor and admitted to Mohali Public Hospital on 24 May.

Legendary Indian sprinter Milkha Singh died at the age of 91 on Friday after a months-long battle with the virus in Chandigarh due to complications of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19). The former captain of the Indian women’s volleyball team and wife of the Flying Sikh, Nirmal Kaur of Milkha Singh, died of the virus on Sunday. A former world sprint champion and one of India’s greatest athletes has died at the age of 91 after complications from COVID-19 in Chandra on Friday night.

Legendary Indian sprinter Milkha Singh developed a fever and his oxygen saturation level was dramatically decreased as he fought for his health in intensive care at PGIMER Hospital on Friday after suffering a COVID-19 seizure. After a three-day recovery from the dreaded coronavirus, the health of the flying Sikh Milkha deteriorated on Thursday. He was admitted to the hospital’s intensive care unit with a loss of oxygen but was in stable condition.

Milkha Singh, known as the ‘flying sikh’, one of India’s athletes, won four gold medals at the Asian Games, but his greatest achievement was his fourth place in the 400-meter final at the 1960 Rome Olympics. In 1958 he showed enormous athleticism and skill when he set records in the 200m and 400m at the Indian National Games in Cuttack. In an interview earlier this year, he described the moment as his worst memory after the death of his parents.

Singh was born on 30 November 1928 in Gobindpur, Pakistan, and won the 400m in Cardiff in 4.66 seconds ahead of Malcolm Spence of South Africa. While he won four gold medals at the Asian Video Games (first in the 200m and 400m at the Asian Video Games in 1956, the 400m and 4x400m relay at the Asian Video Games in 1962), he missed out on his greatest second glory when he completed the 400m at the Olympic Stadium in Cardiff and Rome overlooking the photo finish of Spence’s bronze medal. Milkha Singh emerged victorious in the 400m in Cardiff, edging Spence into second place with a time of 46.6 seconds.

The legend was a four-time Asian Games gold medallist and 1958 Commonwealth Games world champion, but his greatest achievement was a fourth place finish in the 400m final at the 1960 Olympics in Rome. He is the only athlete to have won gold in the 400m at both the Asian and Commonwealth Games.

Content Protection by
Back to top button